I took the subway, or “the L” as the Chicago natives call it, home from work today. Normally I drive but Cody needed my car to bring my brother to the air port.
I have a very strong love/hate relationship with the subway. This amazing contraption can get me home in a little over an hour, without the mess of sitting in traffic and only costs me $3. On the other hand, traveling on the L in rush hour is NOT RECOMMENDED.
The things I love:
- Super cheap travel
- Free entertainment (be on the lookout for a “People of the L” post)
- I DON’T HAVE TO DRIVE
- I can read or write or think free thoughts all while traveling home
- No fighting crazy traffic
- I know exactly how long it will take me to get from point A to point B (thanks CTA maps)
- Making new friends with people who have a mutual love/hate relationship with public transportation
Things I don’t love:
- In rush hour, personal space does NOT exist
- People who get a little TOO friendly
- The smells…
- Stuffy stuffy air
So all in all, I like more about the L than I dislike . When I first moved to the city, I’ll admit, i was terrified of public transportation but now it has turned into one of the biggest blessings (especially when I don’t want to give up a good parking spot).